Unit outcomes addressed in this discussion:
- Differentiate between the various types of data.
- Choose the appropriate field type for a data element
- Make recommendations to address data quality and data integrity issues.
Course outcome addressed in this discussion:
HI150-1: Explain the characteristics of a database and the common approaches to storing/retrieving health information.
Please engage on this topic throughout the unit by posting one main response by Saturday and two reply posts by the end of the unit.
- Your main post to the discussion should contain about 100-150 words, with no more than 10% quoting, and all sources cited with a reference list in APA style.
- Each reply post should contain about 50–75 words—use of APA style as needed.
This is a graded Discussion. To review the grading rubric, go to Course Resources/Grading Rubrics.
Discussion Topic: Data Content and Data Dictionaries
Review the document “Data Content for EHR Documentation” found in your reading list and well as the You Tube™ videos listed under the Unit 2 Reading resources.
- Evaluate the “Sample Data Dictionary” located in the article including all of the elements and definitions for each “data element”.
- Differentiate which data elements are “text” versus “a date”? What is the difference in the format?
- Recommend your own “data element” to add to the Sample Data Dictionary and complete the description indicators as provided in the table (Data Element, Variables, Descriptions, Data Type, and Format).
- Can your data element have multiple definitions or formats? Is that acceptable? Why or why not?
- You may wish to conduct additional research on data dictionaries including reviewing the provided resources and videos in this course.
- Attempt to limit duplication of postings by reviewing student posts already provided.
- Secondary posts back to fellow classmates should include your agreement and rational regarding the information provided in the student’s post.
Start a New Thread