Unit 2 Assignment: Data Content and Data Dictionary
Unit outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
- Describe computer concepts including hardware components, network systems architecture operating systems and languages, software packages and tools, and Cloud computing applications.
- Utilize technology for data collection, storage, analysis, and reporting of information
- Take part in the development of networks, including intranet and Internet applications
- Evaluate data dictionaries & data sets for compliance with governance standards.
Course outcome assessed/addressed in this Assignment:
- HI150-1: Explain the characteristics of a database and the common approaches to storing/retrieving health information.
Assignment Instructions: Part One
You have just been hired for your “dream job” at a local employer. Your boss has requested your input for the type of computer system you would like to have.
- Using the Internet, search and develop your “dream computer system.” This can be a laptop or PC.
- It should include the components discussed in this chapter including processor speed, keyboard, memory, RAM, internal and external hard drives, Graphic Card, mouse, headset, monitor type and screen size, etc. It may be helpful to organize this information in a table for easier viewing.
- You must justify your choice of components based on their strengths and weaknesses and why they are suited to your needs.
- Include required brand names and suggested manufacturer costs.
- Refer to the Unit 2 Reading and Unit 2 Discussion Board for select readings and You Tube™ videos on computer components (Ram, CPU, drive, etc.).
Assignment Instructions: Part Two
In your new position, imagine that as part of your role within healthcare leadership, you are involved in several committees for the organization. One of your responsibilities is to review technology infrastructure supporting various types of patients, both in-network and out-of-network.
- Starting with the selected components of your “Dream Computer”, explain how data and information is stored on your “system” and how you go about retrieving said information.
- Differentiate the technologies needed to support data collection, storage, deficiency analysis, compliance with regulatory agencies and reporting throughout various networks. Please indicate the relevant computer components– including software and hardware, as outlined in Part One.
- Within your technology infrastructure analysis, compare and contrast computer networks in terms of:
- (1) approach (i.e., Internet, intranet, and extranet);
- (2) communication technologies (Network- LANS, WANS, WLANS, and VPNs); and
- (3) Internet standards (i.e., TCP/IP, XML, and SGML).
- Refer to the Unit 2 reading and Unit 2 Discussion Board for select readings and You Tube™ videos on database management, database concepts and data warehousing.
- Submit a 3-4 page paper utilizing proper grammar, punctuation, and support your research with appropriate references.
Be sure to utilize the resources within Academic Tools to assist you with meeting APA expectations for written Assignments.
Submitting Your Work
Put your responses in a Microsoft Word document. Save it in a location and with the proper naming convention: username-Course Name-section-Unit 2_Assignment.doc (username is your University username, section is your course section, 2 is your Unit number). Submit to the Unit Dropbox.
To view your graded work, come back to the Dropbox or go to the Gradebook after your instructor has evaluated it. Make sure that you save a copy of your submitted project.