Topic 2 GCU Library Research Worksheet
Overview: The GCU Library will be a vital resource for you during your academic career. The Library contains a wealth of resources that will help you find, research, and broaden your understanding on any given topic. Learning to correctly locate, cite, and use resources to support your writing is an essential component of your academic success.
Directions: Type directly into this document. Be sure to address all questions within the document. When you have finished, save the document. While in the assignment dropbox: 1) click BROWSE FROM MY COMPUTER, 2) upload your saved document, and 3) SUBMIT to FINAL SUBMISSION. (This assignment will not be submitted to LopesWrite.)
Before starting this assignment, review the short walk-through tutorial on the GCU Library. http://tutorials.gcumedia.com/mediaElement/library-walk-through-tutorial/library-walk-through-tutorial-v1.1.php
After reviewing the library walk-through paying close attention to “Accessing Articles” and “Boolean Operators” sections, complete the following steps:
1. Go to www.library.gcu.edu.
2. From the library home page, choose “Find Journal Articles” (you may have to sign in with your GCU login information).
3. Click the “Peer Reviewed” box.
4. Type “higher education” in the search box (the Select Subject default reads “all subjects,” leave it).
5. Type “disability” in the second search box (below where you typed “higher education”)
6. Confirm the default selection in the dropdown for each is “And.” Click Search.
7. Locate on the results page the journal article “Higher education and disability: A systematic review of assessment instruments designed for students, faculty, and staff.”
8. Click on the article title.
9. Locate the “cite” icon on the right side of the screen.
10. Click on the cite icon, find the APA citation, and copy the APA citation. Paste it in the box below: Use the Merge Formatting option for paste.
(If the citation does not copy over with a hanging indent, use Control + T)
11. Always review the style guides in following link to make sure the reference in the library correctly follows the rules for GCU style.
Citations and Style guide resource: http://libguides.gcu.edu/CitingSources/APA
12. Go back to the Internet and your library search results. Keep “higher education” in the top search box.
13. Type “leadership” in the second search box (below where you typed “higher education”)
14. Type “glass-ceiling” in the third search box (below where you typed “leadership”)
15. Confirm the default selection in the dropdown for each is “And.” Click Search.
16. Click the article title “Climbing the stairs to leadership: Reflections on moving beyond the stained‐glass ceiling.”
17. As in #8, copy the APA citation and place it in the box below (Make sure you have a hanging ident and the citation is correct):
18. Copy and paste the “Abstract/Summary” in the box below:
19. Read the “Abstract/Summary” and write two to three sentences, briefly summarizing what the article is about in the box below: