This paper will reflect the initial research that you do on your community and explain why you have chosen this community. It is descriptive, rather than argumentative. You may use first person to talk about your personal experiences with the community (Part 1).
Length: 700-900 words, not including your list of references. Use size 11-12 serif font such as Arial or Times New Roman, single spaced, and one-inch page margins
References: Please include at least five references
Proper citations and formatted list of references 15%
Grammar and formatting 15%
Content: Part 1 30%
Content: Part 2 40%
What is your chosen community? Why did you choose this community? Describe your past and current experience with this community.
(Roughly 1/3 of the paper’s length)
Describe aspects that define your community.
(About 1 paragraph for each of the questions below)
1. Clearly state your chosen definition of community. How does your community adhere to that definition?
2. Describe the human and social capital of your community.
1. Use US Census Data to provide population, population density, racial and ethnic makeup, age distribution.
2. Look for other data sources to describe formal and informal social networks and groups within your community.
3. Describe the major infrastructure of your community: highways, ports, railroads, rivers, airports, etc. Describe the natural landscape and major land uses of the area (agriculture, forestry, mining, recreation, etc.). Include references to any maps that you used.
4. Describe the major public and private institutions in your community. For instance: libraries, town halls, museums, large businesses, military bases, colleges and universities, public and private schools, etc.
5. Mention any major historical trends or events that have shaped your community that are of interest to you for further investigation