Policy and Ethics: Healthcare Quality
Design health policies that address local and global population health issues
NURS 600 – Policy and Ethics in Nursing
Guidelines for Writing the Policy Analysis Brief
Policy decisions are made in most levels of government that includes local, state, and federal settings. It is important for nurses to inform these policy decision makers by providing policy recommendations and written policy advice. This is why it is important for nurse leaders to understand how to develop and write a cogent, convincing policy analysis brief. This assignment will provide you with an opportunity to develop a policy analysis brief and to create a strong argument that justifies the recommendations you are making related to the specific problem you decide to address.
Introduction: Give a brief overview of the setting, population that you have selected for the policy analysis. Is it a hospital? A community? Who is your target audience and who are you trying to convince to implement this policy?
Problem: Define the Problem –What caused you to identify the need for a policy/ or policy revision? Is it a problem or crisis that demands immediate attention? Is the problem a local, state, or national problem? What interests are at stake for all the parties who will be impacted by this policy? Is there a current policy addressing the problem that needs to be revised or are you proposing a new policy to address the problem?
Recommendations: What are the specific recommendations or goals (provide a minimum of 3)? What is the relationship between the recommendations or goals and the problem that was identified? Are there other interests groups that need to be included in the analysis discussion or considered by the policy makers when setting the recommendations or goals? Provide a table with specific recommendations that grabs the reader’s attention.
Implementation steps: Where would you begin to implement the new policy or changes to an existing policy? What resources are needed to successfully implement the policy and where would they come from? How many agencies or organizations need to be involved in the implementation?
Conclusion: What final thoughts do you want to leave the decision-maker or policy maker with (include this in your conclusion)? This is where you need to reemphasize the problem and how it can be addressed and when it needs to be addressed.
Important: Follow APA style; include at least 6 or more references to support your analysis and recommendations. Cover page to include student name, title of policy analysis brief, course title, professor name, set up in APA format with page number.
Resources for Writing in APA style:
· If you have questions about writing in APA style visit the Graduate Nursing Notes section on Blackboard for resources.
· There is also a Quoting verses Paraphrasing in APA style YouTube video under the Course Information Tab in the course
Example of Policy Briefs: Visit American Nurses Association Website to view examples of Policy Briefs – http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/Policy-Advocacy/Positions-and-Resolutions/Issue-Briefs
invite your classmates to view your policy analysis and ask them to answer 2 specific questions that you would like to receive their feedback on related to how they see your policy analysis impacting the quality of patient outcomes and safety.
Nickitas, D. M., Aries, N., and Middaugh, D. J. (2020) Policy and Politics for Nurses and Other Health Professionals Chapter 8
2. Grace, J. (2018). Professional Responsibility, Social Justice, Human Rights, and Injustice. Chapter 6 – Research Ethics: Advanced Practice Roles and Responsibilities.
3. View Website: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/index.html
4. Improving Quality and Safety: Improving Quality and Safety healthpolicybrief_45.pdf
5. View American College of Healthcare Executives Website – State of Position and Policy on: The Healthcare Executive’s Role in Ensuring Quality and Patient Safety: https://www.ache.org/policy/exec-ensure-patsafe.cfm