Assignment: Publishing Web Content
This Application will help you analyze file-naming conventions and file structures for personal computers (PCs) and web server technology. Specifically, you will focus on the following points:
Note: Open a new Microsoft Word document before starting the assignment. Continue pasting the screenshots in the document as you go through the assignment. Explain and comment on each part of the completed assignment. This will become your Part 1 of the Unit 1 assignment report.
Part 1: As part of this Application, you are provided with an HTML document named “index.html” and an image named “IMAGE.GIF” in the zipped package below. The HTML document includes code that displays the image but only when set up properly. Perform the following steps:
Index.html and IMAGE.gif files (zipped package)
1. Download the zip package and extract the files.
2. Save the HTML file and picture and place them in the same directory on your computer.
3. Double-click the HTML file. You will notice that the file opens in a web browser, but the image does not show up. Take a screen shot of the image file not showing up.
4. Create a folder named “ pics” in the same directory as the HTML file and move the image to the pics folder.
5. Refresh the HTML file in the web browser. You will notice that the image renders correctly. Take a screen shot of the image file showing up.
6. Log on to your web hosting service, and upload index.html as provided to the Web Pages area. Do not edit it in any way.
7. Create a folder named “ pics” in the Storage area of your hosting service.
8. Upload the image file named “IMAGE.GIF” to the pics folder.
9. Type the URL in a web browser to view the HTML page. You will find that the page shows up but the image does not. Take a screen shot of the image file not showing up.
10. Rename the image to “ image.gif” and upload again.
11. Refresh the web browser with the URL. Everything should now render correctly, including the image. Take a screen shot of the image file showing up.
In your Part 1 report, explain and comment on the results obtained and add the URL for your website to your report. Be sure that the URL included is functional and allows for previewing your site on the server by clicking on it.
Part 2: On the basis of the activity in Part 1, write a 1- to 2-page report analyzing the role and importance of naming conventions. Also, identify at least three features and benefits of FTP servers, one of the many technologies for which naming conventions are so important